Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 110 g /4 oz Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 110 g /4 oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs Lightly Beaten
- 1 tsp tsp Vanilla Extract
- 110 g /4 oz Self Raising Flour
- 1 tbsp - 2 tbsp Semi Skimmed Milk
- 50 g Milk Chocolate Chips
- 50 g White Chocolate Chips
For the buttercream icing and decoration
- 140 g /5 oz Unsalted Butter softened
- 280 g /10 oz Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp tbsp Semi Skimmed Milk
- Pink Marshmallows
- Milk Chocolate Buttons
- Black Edible Sugar Pearl Balls
10 to 15 minutes
Cooking the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency . Once consistent, add the chocolate chips and fold them in as well.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. A good way to test if the cakes are ready is to check that when a small skewer is inserted into one of the cakes it comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
Time to decorate!
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar along with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Smear the icing over the top each cupcake using a knife
- Cut a pink marshmallow in half horizontally, keeping one half for later. Using a cocktail stick, pierce two holes into the marshmallow half, then press an edible sugar pearl ball into each hole to create the cow’s nose.
- Cut the other half of the marshmallow into two small triangles to create ears and add two further editable sugar pearl balls onto the cupcake to create the eyes.
- To finish off, cut chocolate buttons in half to create cheeks and any other cow print desired.